Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2009

Some things should not change

It has been quite a while since I am away from my hometown Lucknow.
I usually visit here in every 5-6 months or so. Everytime I come back here, I always try to find out what has changed since my last visit.
Other than some new buildings here n there, I have never been able to point out anything specific. Specially in the area of old Lucknow where I live, nothing has really changed.
Same old buildings trying to tell the stories of there own, political discussions happening standing around a PAN shop, mouthwatering smell of kebabs and biryaanis from nearby hotel, same old narrow streets (galiyan).
Once you hear some typical words like 'amaa jaaiiyee, aap bhi na', 'maaf kijiyega' etc etc...you can bet you are in old Lucknow. 'Tehzeeb' and hospitality of Lucknow has always been a part of its very old nawabi culture and it is somehow still trying to carry on the same tradition. Where else you can hear people asking to a rickshaw waala with such politeness "aap khaali hain kya?"
There are variuos other reasons why I like this place, one is simply because my parents and other siblings are here, other is good non-veg food (ofcource ghar pe bana hua) and some memories that I always cherish to have with me.
I remember we (me and my friends) use to take a walk in the evening near 'residency' and 'shahid smarak' at the banks of river Gomti, discussing all the nonsense topics (example discussing the team which will play in the forthcoming 'mohalla cricket game')...those were really the good time. I miss my friends now when I come here because all of them are busy earning their livelyhood and most of them don't live in town anymore just like me.
I am in Lucknow on a vaction while I am writing this blog, which I know will end very soon but I am trying to make the most of it :).

1 comment:

maverick said...

The place where you spend most of your childhood..is always very close and special for us..simply bcoz we have numerous moments attached to it :-)